search user
Clipland Forum TV Commercials

Cingular -old Blondie song

(All 15 messages ) Post Reply
# 1 18 years ago

Does anyone know who sings the "Hanging on the telephone" song in the Cingular commercial? It is a remake of an old Bondie song. Thanks for your time.
# 2 18 years ago

> Does anyone know who sings the "Hanging on the telephone" song in the Cingular commercial? It is a remake of an old Bondie song. Thanks for your time.

I have been trying to figure that out myself. I had forgotten that it was a Blondie original. But I'm pretty sure that I have heard the version that's in the commercial many years ago. My 1st guest was the Waitresses but I couldn't find any mention of it on their website. 2nd guess was Martha and the Muffins but no mention on their website either.
So I'm stumped....

Don't you love how all of these great songs from the late 70's and 80's that were never "fit for radio" are showing up in commercials???
# 3 18 years ago

> > Does anyone know who sings the "Hanging on the telephone" song in the Cingular commercial? It is a remake of an old Bondie song. Thanks for your time.
>
>
> I have been trying to figure that out myself. I had forgotten that it was a Blondie original. But I'm pretty sure that I have heard the version that's in the commercial many years ago. My 1st guest was the Waitresses but I couldn't find any mention of it on their website. 2nd guess was Martha and the Muffins but no mention on their website either.
> So I'm stumped....
>
> Don't you love how all of these great songs from the late 70's and 80's that were never "fit for radio" are showing up in commercials???

OK, some more info....

I have discovered that a 70's band called The Nerves were the original authors of the song. Here's the blurb that I stole from mp3.com..

They could've been contenders had they stayed together long enough, but the Nerves, despite their brief existence, were one of the most exciting bands in power pop. Formed by Jack Lee, Peter Case, and Paul Collins in 1975, their career was over by 1978, but they produced a great EP that featured the power pop classic "Hanging on the Telephone," which was later recorded (and wonderfully so) by Blondie. Ultimately, having three talented songwriters in one band hurried the demise of the Nerves, and all three principals found greater happiness and success with their new bands; although Jack Lee (arguably the most talented songwriter of the three) had the shortest career and eventually dropped out of sight after a fine solo record (Jack Lee's Greatest Hits, Vol. 1) in 1981. Case went on to form the Plimsouls, who recorded two good records and a transcendent pop song, "A Million Miles Away." After breaking up in 1984, Case recorded as a roots rock solo act for the rest of the decade and into the '90s. Collins formed the Beat (later Paul Collins' Beat), who were merely OK, and has done little since the mid-'80s. ~ John Dougan, All Music Guide

# 4 18 years ago

> > Does anyone know who sings the "Hanging on the telephone" song in the Cingular commercial? It is a remake of an old Bondie song. Thanks for your time.
>
>
> I have been trying to figure that out myself. I had forgotten that it was a Blondie original. But I'm pretty sure that I have heard the version that's in the commercial many years ago. My 1st guest was the Waitresses but I couldn't find any mention of it on their website. 2nd guess was Martha and the Muffins but no mention on their website either.
> So I'm stumped....
>
> Don't you love how all of these great songs from the late 70's and 80's that were never "fit for radio" are showing up in commercials???

My guess is it's "The Kirby Grips", but good luck finding a recording of it...
# 5 18 years ago

>
>
> So I'm stumped....
>

My guess is it's "The Kirby Grips", but good luck finding a recording of it...

Forget that, I just found a copy and it's much harder than the commercial...
# 6 18 years ago

http://www.petercase.com/disco/nerves7.htm

# 7 18 years ago

> > > Does anyone know who sings the "Hanging on the telephone" song in the Cingular commercial? It is a remake of an old Bondie song. Thanks for your time.
> >
> >
> > It's actually by Cat Power.
# 8 18 years ago

the person that remade hanging on the telephone is Cat Power
# 9 18 years ago

> > > Does anyone know who sings the "Hanging on the telephone" song in the Cingular commercial? It is a remake of an old Bondie song. Thanks for your time.
> >
> >
> > I have been trying to figure that out myself. I had forgotten that it was a Blondie original. But I'm pretty sure that I have heard the version that's in the commercial many years ago. My 1st guest was the Waitresses but I couldn't find any mention of it on their website. 2nd guess was Martha and the Muffins but no mention on their website either.
> > So I'm stumped....
> >
> > Don't you love how all of these great songs from the late 70's and 80's that were never "fit for radio" are showing up in commercials???
>
> My guess is it's "The Kirby Grips", but good luck finding a recording of it...
>
>
> Forget that, I just found a copy and it's much harder than the commercial...

The song in the commercial where the guy is waiting for the phone call from the girl is "Hanging on the Telephone" vocals by Cat Power. It was originally by Nerves, then Blondie, here covered by Cat Power
# 10 18 years ago

whats the name of the song in the commercial. you just see the phone spinning. there r no people in it and the break on the song says, "and i like it...and i like it." its a girl singing. its new
# 11 18 years ago

whats the name of the song in the commercial. you just see the phone spinning. there r no people in it and the break on the song says, "and i like it...and i like it." its a girl singing. its new
# 12 18 years ago

"Hanging on the Telephone," was originally by The Nerves in 1976. Blondie also recorded in 1978.

The cover version is sung by Cat Power, Chan Marshall (Cat Power) re-recorded just for the commercial.
# 13 18 years ago

> >
> >
> > I have been trying to figure that out myself. I had forgotten that it was a Blondie original. But I'm pretty sure that I have heard the version that's in the commercial many years ago. My 1st guest was the Waitresses but I couldn't find any mention of it on their website. 2nd guess was Martha and the Muffins but no mention on their website either.
> > So I'm stumped....
> >
> > Don't you love how all of these great songs from the late 70's and 80's that were never "fit for radio" are showing up in commercials???
>
> My guess is it's "The Kirby Grips", but good luck finding a recording of it...
>
>

Hanging on the Telephone was originally by The Nerves 1976. Blondie also recorded by Blondie in 1978.
The current cover version is sung by Cat Power. Chan Marshall of C.P re-recorded just for the commercial.
The current cover reversion is sung by Cat Power.
# 14 18 years ago

> >
> >
> > So I'm stumped....
> >
>
>
>

Hanging on the Telephone was originally by The Nerves 1976. Blondie also recorded by Blondie in 1978.
The current cover version is sung by Cat Power. Chan Marshall of C.P re-recorded just for the commercial.
The current cover reversion is sung by Cat Power.
# 15 16 years ago

He's right, The Nerves did Hanging On The Telephone before Blondie, around 1976 I think. Paul Collins founded The Nerves with Jack Lee and Peter Case, but they lasted from 1974 to 1977. With The Nerves calling it quits, Paul Collins' Beat formed in 1977, but The Beat was a little heavier than The Nerves. I saw Paul Collins' Beat last year and they played a couple songs from The Nerves vinyl EP, the songs Hanging On The Telephone and Working Too Hard.
(All 15 messages )

This Thread

15 posts in this thread