search user
Clipland Forum Other

GE Coal/Energy Commercial

(Messages 16 to 23 of 23 (Page 2 of 2) ) << Last 15 messages Post Reply
# 16 18 years ago

hobo
the song is 'sixteen tons', which is ironic because the song is about how much it sucks to mine coal.
# 17 18 years ago

The song is "Sixteen Tons." There are quite a few artists who have done it...not sure which one GE used.

> > Anyone know the song, and where perhaps I could get a video of the spot online?
>
> If you see the commercial again, if its the one with the models working in the coal mine, you can enter a line of the lyrics in Google and see if anything comes up. I'm also wondering the same thing.
# 18 18 years ago

I can't believe that the top google search for "coal and ge" is about the song. i am only 33 however know enough about the coal mining industry to know this is horrific......this is not a new technology....people lost their lives or, if lucky enough...only their health mining for coal. how does ge plan to make this different than the previous years of mining for coal??? wake up!! this is not about the song or the bodies in the video!! the coal mining industry created a "modern" indendurted servant in post WWII America. How does ge plan to make this different now??? Until they explain....PLEASE do not support mining of coal!!!!!! No matter what the video looks like!!!! Yes, I am PROUD to be a grandaughter of a WV Coal Miner!! It may have been a LONG time....but we have not forgotten!!
> > Anyone know the song, and where perhaps I could get a video of the spot online?
>
> If you see the commercial again, if its the one with the models working in the coal mine, you can enter a line of the lyrics in Google and see if anything comes up. I'm also wondering the same thing.
# 19 18 years ago

Have you listened to the words of this old song?? "I owe my soul to the company store" is typical of a coal miner....their houses were owned by the company, and everything they bought was from the store owned by the coal company....the company owned them. And miners were forced into dangerous health conditions to maintain this servient life. GE has alot to explain as to how this is now "sexy".
>
# 20 18 years ago

Have you listened to the words of this old song?? "I owe my soul to the company store" is typical of a coal miner....their houses were owned by the company, and everything they bought was from the store owned by the coal company....the company owned them. And miners were forced into dangerous health conditions to maintain this servient life. GE has alot to explain as to how this is now "sexy".
>
# 21 18 years ago

its Merle Travis' Sixteen Tons, they do not have a link to the spot so apparently they could not find it online as they usualy do when its availible. The spot is aparently called 'Model Miners'

It takes some big brass ones to pitch propiganda like that... lets have models sing about how much a coal miners life stinks to promote our coal... how do you pitch that??

Cool song though and the spot works... Talk about counter-intuitive advertising.
# 22 18 years ago

http://www.ge.com/en/company/companyinfo/advertising/video/modelminers_r300.htm
# 23 18 years ago

The song is Sixteen Tons by Tennessee Ernie Ford and I had to run out and buy the CD with a mix of the oldies and haven't stopped playing it since. What a great commercial!

>
(Messages 16 to 23 of 23 (Page 2 of 2) ) << Last 15 messages

This Thread

23 posts in this thread