The 90th Academy Awards will honor the best films of 2017. The actual award ceremony - where the "Oscars" are handed out - will be held on March 4th 2018 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. These are the nominees for an award in short film categories:
(below Clipland entries will be updated and improved over the next hours)
- DeKalb Elementary – Reed Van Dyk
- The Eleven O'Clock – Derin Seale and Josh Lawson
- My Nephew Emmett – Kevin Wilson, Jr.
- The Silent Child – Chris Overton and Rachel Shenton
- Watu Wote: All of Us – Katja Benrath and Tobias Rosen
- Dear Basketball – Glen Keane and Kobe Bryant
- Garden Party – Victor Caire and Gabriel Grapperon
- LOU – Dave Mullins and Dana Murray
- Negative Space – Max Porter and Ru Kuwahata
- Revolting Rhymes – Jakob Schuh and Jan Lachauer
- Edith+Eddie – Laura Chekoway and Thomas Lee Wright
- Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405 – Frank Stiefel
- Heroine – Elaine McMillion Sheldon and Kerrin Sheldon
- Knife Skills – Thomas Lennon
- Traffic Stop – Kate Davis and David Heilbroner
This year, the animated short category is dominated by entries from the US and France, and interesting enough, one US entry had its premier in France. Fertile ground for animation, obviously. Another interesting detail unrelated to where it premiered is that, one of the nominees, Revolting Rhymes, is actually an hour-long "short" broken into two parts, or one short film which is actually two short films.
Foreign films were out of luck thsi year in the "best documentary short subject" category, with all films being from the US. A more diverse set is the selection in live action short, where films from the UK, Australia, the US and co-productions could make it into the Top 5.